Friday, January 3, 2014

Happy New Year!

Beat The Heat 5k in 2013

Happy New Year!!!

One of my resolutions for 2014 is to get back to blogging regularly (every week or two) to keep everyone updated on how everything is going with training, racing and just life in general.  So be sure check back regularly for updates, pictures and videos.

Unfortunately this first update of the year comes with a bit of bad news.  In mid December my training was going very well, I was ramping back up after my break post Monumental Marathon, and was rounding into good shape as I prepared for the U.S. Half Marathon Championships in January.  My 30 minute tempos were back down under 5:50 pace and my 1 minute repeats were down in the 5:00-5:05 pace range and my long runs going well.   But as I focused on speed more, I started doing 3 things I had done in the past but none of them recently: 1) I started doing more short fast speed workouts  2) I started doing that speed work in light weight flats 3) I added back in my twice weekly full drill circuits.  Because I had done all 3 before I didn't think anything of it.  But the combination of adding all 3 things in at the same time caused me to develop a stress reaction in the 3rd metatarsal of my right foot.  Luckily my parents and I caught it quickly before it developed into a full stress fracture, and I have spent the past two and half weeks of my Holiday break staying off my foot, and treating it and allowing it to heal.  But with this forced time off from running I have to withdraw from the U.S. Half Marathon Championships later this month.  Bummer!  But it already feels a ton better and I expect to be back running shortly and will add back in things more gradually this time. This was my first major running injury in the sport, or at least the first thing hat caused me to miss more than a day or two of running all together.  So I know it was bound to happen eventually and after 10+ yrs as a runner I feel very lucky to have made it this long and I am glad we caught it quickly before it became a bigger issue.

But this down time has given me some time to plan out 2014 a set some goals for the year.  My 3 main goals for 2014 are:

1)  Get the Olympic Trials A standard of sub 2:37 in the marathon
2)   Lower my half marathon time to the low 1:15's or better
3)   Be in the top 25 fastest U.S. woman in the marathon for the year

Last year my goals were to "get my feet wet" in the marathon; get the Trials B standard; and run one of the top 50 fastest times by a U.S. woman for the year.  I am very excited to have accomplished all 3 of those goals in 2013 and am super excited to attack the new year and new goals in 2014.

I will update my spring racing schedule as soon as I get back training again and see how fast my fitness progresses.  

Personal note:  I turn 17 years old next week (Jan 8th).  WoooHooo!
 





No comments:

Post a Comment